Respondus LockDown Browser is a locked browser that prevents you from accessing other applications on your computer while taking tests in Blackboard. You must download the browser before taking a test that requires it. Only download from the link provided.
Quick Reference Documents
Install Respondus LockDown Browser
- Open an internet browser. (Google Chrome/Firefox recommended).
- Go to the following website:
- Click and follow the instructions on the screen.
Take a Test with Respondus LockDown Monitor
- Close all programs unless one is used specifically to connect to the Internet.
- Launch the Respondus Lockdown Browser:
- Windows: Locate the LockDown Browser icon on your desktop and double-click.
- Mac: Launch LockDown Browser from the Applications folder.
- If prompted to choose a server, select the option with “Blackboard.”
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g., screen capture or instant messaging):
- Click Yes.
- Or, close Respondus LockDown Browser to close the blocked program, and then restart Respondus LockDown Browser.
- Login to your Blackboard
- The Webcam Check will confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly. The first time the Webcam Check is performed on a computer, Adobe Flash Player will require you to select Allow and Remember.
- The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings chosen by your instructor.
- Follow the instructions and note your progress along the top of the screen.
- If you encounter a problem, select the It’s not working link for troubleshooting tips.
- The test will begin after the Startup Sequence is complete.
- If the instructor requires a test password, a new window will appear asking for the Exam Password. Enter the password and click Begin Exam.
- The test will then start. Once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until you complete the test by clicking Submit.